There are a few comments below about people having their Rinnai water heater stop working on them suddenly. The very first thing I would recommend is unplugging the unit from the wall for 2-3 minutes and then plugging the system back in. This works to reset the internal computer and may clear the error code causing the shutdown. If this doesn’t rectify the situation or if it happens again soon after, a technician is most likely needed to diagnose the issue.
Due to the extreme cold temperatures throughout the USA and especially Texas in 2021 a number of tankless systems have been damaged and destroyed. The R85 isn’t manufactured anymore so I will be suggesting some replacement Rinnai models that should basically be a plug and play in terms of piping and venting. Please note that every installation is different and I can’t be certain that these will fit perfectly. We also use Amazon for shipping these systems as they have by far the most efficient and speedy shipping infrastructure.
V65iN – 6.5GPM 150k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V65iP – 6.5GPM 150k BTU’s PROPANE
V75iN – 7.5GPM 180k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V75iP – 7.5GPM 180k BTU’s PROPANE
V94iN – 9.4GPM 199k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V94iP – 9.4GPM 199k BTU’s PROPANE
V65eN – 6.5GPM 150k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V65eP – 6.5GPM 150k BTU’s PROPANE
V75eN – 7.5GPM 180k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V75eP – 7.5GPM 180k BTU’s PROPANE
V94eN – 9.4GPM 199k BTU’s NATURAL GAS
V94eP – 9.4GPM 199k BTU’s PROPANE
Did Your Tankless Freeze?
If it did there is a good chance that the system needs to be completely replaced. There are a number of spots that have likely been compromised as the water froze and expanded.
On the positive side of things if you are looking to increase the amount of hot water you can produce, maybe for a new bathroom, or a new multi head shower now might be a good time to upgrade to a higher BTU model.
The V94 models are able to produce more hot water than the old R85 model. Alternatively if you found you used less hot water than you had anticipated you could go down to the V75 models and produce just a little less hot water than the old R85.
UPDATE: The Rinnai R85 is not available anymore, check out the Rinnai RL94i which is the updated version. We have all specifications and prices listed for both rental and purchases.
No one ever uses hot water 24 hours a day. But, if you have a conventional tank then you’re paying to heat water 24 hours a day. With a standard water heater, you heat and reheat the same water even when you’re sleeping. No one wants to waste money but if you have a conventional tank that’s what your doing.
The Rinnai tankless R85 water heater is a more efficient way to heat water for residential users. This system heats water quickly and delivers an endless supply of hot water for as long as you need it. With the Rinnai tankless water heater, you only pay to heat water when you need it and for as long as you want it. Thus Saving money.
- White Powder Coat Enamel Finish
- Continuous Hot Water on Demand Delivered at Up to 8.5 GPM
- Whole House Water Heating Solution
- MC-91 Digital Temperature Controller =/-2° F Included
- Direct Electronic Ignition – No Pilot Light
- On Board Diagnostics and Safety Monitoring
- Exterior Unit – No Venting Required
- Battery Backup Possible for Operation in Power Interruptions
Tankless Energy Efficiency
- Up to .83 EF Providing Significant Energy Cost Savings
- On When You Need It, Off When You Don’t… No Standby Loss!
- 10 Year Limited Warranty On The Heat Exchanger
- 5 Year Warranty On All Parts
- Minimum / Maximum Gas Rate (Input BTU/Hr.) 15,000 – 199,000
- Dimensions: 9″D x 14″W x 24″ H
- Weight: 48 lbs.
- 8.5 GPM Maximum Hot Water Capacity at 35° Rise
- 4.5 GPM Maximum Hot Water Capacity at 75° Rise
- NoX Emissions Less Than 40Ng/J
- Temperature Range 98 – 140° F
- Altitudes Up to 10,500 Feet Without Kits or Additional Parts
Price and Installation
Rinnai likes its tankless water heaters to be installed by certified professional installers, thus reducing the chance of incorrectly installed units. We carry all makes and models so if your interested in a Rinnai tankless for your home give us a call at 647-925-1930 or send us a message via the form below. As always advice, quotes, and information are free.