On April 1, 2015 it becomes law that Ontarians get a 20 day cooling off period if they sign a contract for a water heater at their door. In addition to that there are a number of new stipulations that need to be met by sales people practicing door to door marketing. We have outlined the important changes so you can be prepared if someone shows up at your door.
- The cooling off period starts the day the consumer signs the contract at the door.
- The Consumer Protection Act also bans the installation of a water heater during that period (except under limited circumstances).
- The consumers existing water heater provider is permitted to install a new water heater within that 20 day cooling off period but only if the customer initiated the transaction.
Door To Door Water Heater Sales Requirements
If you are approached at your home regarding your water heater the sales person must provide a very specific cover page outlining your rights detailed below.
- A printed cover page outlining a consumers rights.
- Business name and contact information.
- A clear indication if the sales person is with the consumers current supplier of not.
- As the consumer you must sign the cover page proving you have seen the required document.
- A verification call must be completed within the first 15 days of your cooling off period and cannot be made on the same day you signed your contract. If you do not verify the contract is automatically cancelled.
Customer Initiated Requests
In addition to door to door customer protection initiatives there have been some changes in the process a company needs to take even when a customer calls them asking for a new water heater. Basically you as the home owner will need to sign a paper acknowledging you understand that you called in the company to change, or replace your water heater. As a consumer you still have a 20 day cooling off period but would be liable for any work that had been done should you decide to cancel the contract after a new water heater had been installed.
What Does This Apply To?
All water heaters, yes this includes tankless water heaters as well.
Samples of documents that may be presented to you the consumer